Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Photography Class- Week 6

Sixth assignment: "Framing Your Photographs"

Instructions: Take a total of 5 pictures using the rule of thirds in all 5 and then take 1 picture using each of these criteria:

Simplicity- Just a subject matter and nothing else (ie nothing in the background).

Lines- Find repetition of lines and capture them at an angle

Balance- Keep the photo from being "2 pictures" in one, but still balanced. People or objects can be used and must be side by side, but the picture must be taken from a different angle other than straight on.

Framing- Find a natural frame and use this along with your object/subject. Can be as simple as a door or window frame.

Merge- Give an example of a merge/what not to do in pictures (ie a lady in a purple skirt against a purple backdrop or a person standing in front of a tree and then in the picture it looks as though they have a branch coming out of their head).

My thoughts: I'm going to be busy this week! I kind of already use the rule of thirds (or try to) when I take my pictures, so I don't think that will be an issue. Simplicity might be sort of easy to do because I could take a picture of someone from below and then have a clear sky behind them. Lines...parking spaces, telephone wires, bottles lined up in a Coke machine or cooler. Balance- I really have no ideas right now. Framing shouldn't be too difficult. There is a really neat door frame in Big Spring that would be perfect for this. Wonder if I could talk my boss into posing for me in front of it? Haha! I'm thinking I can probably find a tree with a crazy branch and just have Jevon stand in front of it to make it look like it's coming out of his shoulder or something. I'm sure he would be thrilled to do this!

No comments: